Father’s Day is celebrated in Zambia every year on the third Sunday in June, which is the same day as the United States, South Africa, Canada and the United Kingdom, amongst other countries. However, some Catholic countries coincide Father’s Day with St. Joseph’s Day on March 19th. This makes sense since St. Joseph is the patron saint of fathers.
Father’s Day isn’t a national holiday in Zambia, but this doesn’t mean that you can’t find fun ways to show the men in your life just how much you care. Whether it is your father, grandfather, uncle or another father figure in your life, Father’s Day provides an opportunity to refocus and spend time with those you love.
Livingstone is a fabulous place to enjoy some fun times with your dad (or any dad!) and create lifelong memories. We have curated a list of ways to show the men in your life how awesome they are and how much you value what they do each and every day.
Meaningful Father’s Day Presents in Livingstone
Most fathers would agree that the most meaningful presents they have ever received from their wife, partner or child are those with heart. You don’t need to blow all of your kwacha to make someone feel special; it is about showing the man in your life why you love them. Here are some ideas for how you can treat a father in Livingstone without breaking the bank:
- Buy a blank school book from Bhukans Stationery and fill every page with reason why you love them
- Make a card yourself and check this page out for writing inspiration
- Spend the whole day together putting together a puzzle or going for a long walk
- Create a unique garden for them at home or buy a plant from the local nursery
- Cook their favourite meal at home and set the table as if you are at a fancy restaurant
- Spend time asking them stories about their childhood and their ancestors
- Make a family tree
- Design a scavenger hunt and head out on a walk through the local markets
- Have a movie night at home with their favourite film and gigantic bowls of popcorn
- Call them and tell them you love them
- If your siblings are scattered across Zambia or overseas, then set up a surprise Zoom chat
Perfect presents for a Father’s Day in Livingstone
How do you find the ideal gift that equates to the years of love and commitment that a father gives? It’s certainly not easy, but we are here to show you some of the fantastic options for locally-produced gifts by Zambian makers. Have a look below:
- A leather wallet and business card holder from WAYAWAYA
- An upcycled set of glasses from Pure Skills
- A cheerful necktie perfect for #chitengefriday from Zambezi Joy Society
- Bowls full of delicious chips ‘n dips by OG Arts
- A set of personalized whiskey glasses from Kirafu
- Order a basket full of biltong from The Small Butcher
- Make up your own braai hamper of locally-produced goodies from Heartlands Best
Thrilling Father’s Day Activities in Livingstone
Livingstone is known for its thrilling activities, and tourists from around the globe fly in to get a bit of the action. A road trip with your father might be the ideal way to get a mini holiday in Zambia. After all, it’s time to make some memories and get out with dad on an adventure. Have you thought of:
- Braving the waves rafting on the mighty Zambezi River
- Slowly walking up to a white rhino in Mosi-oa-tunya National Park
- Doing a tandem slide together from Victoria Falls Bridge
If you can’t think of precisely what to do or what to buy, then consider supporting your local Livingstone businesses and purchasing a gift certificate. You’ll then have a pizza night or sunset cruise to look forward to enjoying together in the future.
How did Father’s Day start?
Fathers have notably been around since Adam and Eve; however, it wasn’t until 1910 in Washington state that Father’s Day was first observed. Sonora Smart Dodd was one of six siblings and the daughter of a male widower, so wanted to establish a holiday to honour fathers. Mother’s Day had only recently gained traction before being designated a national holiday in America in 1914.
Is Father’s Day observed in Zambia?
Father’s Day isn’t a gazetted holiday in Zambia, but it is observed by both Zambians and ex-pats in the country.